Grudge against talent?

So I play the piano, have since I was 8. My parents actually required all us kids to play until we were 16 saying we'd thank them for the easy callings we'd get later in life. I have to say I agree with them. Having a calling that only requires you to play in Relief Society or Primary are pretty sweet deals. HOWEVER... thanks to my wonderful husband's mouth, our ward found out when I moved in a year ago that I can also play the organ. Seriously? Anyone that can play the piano can play the organ. Period. You just have to learn which settings to push and there ya go. It's not like it's a different concept people. Annnyway, so fast forward and now I'm the primary pianist and the organist...almost 7 months pregnant. UGH. My one consolation is that the seats on the stands are more comfy then pews.
But my tiff is this, anyone else feel slightly 'used' for a talent they have? I love serving, don't get me wrong. But when you get a call late Thurs. night (9:30 PM...who does that???) to play for a baptism on Saturday I get a little T.O.'d. Because there is a major shortage of verbal piano players (most people are closet players) I know it isn't like someone fell through and they thought of me. It's called being unorganized & thinking I must be good enough not to practice before the event. This weekend I have to play for a funeral (organ) which I only found out only this Wed/Thurs and then a baptism that evening (which I still haven't been informed which songs we're singing). So there's my Talent rant. haha I guess people will always take me for granted but hey, extra blessings right? ;)
I will say this, it has made other wards learn about me and I got paid to play about 1 1/2 hours for a wedding luncheon. That's right, $$$. Am I a horrible person for preferring my talent being utilized that way? [joking in a not so joking way, hehe]

No comments: