Problem Solved (for the most part)

So a few previous posts ago I had mentioned my stomach issues. The short story version is this past weekend Luke and I went to my parents. I had this sharp stabbing pain in my right side that would come and go. I already had a doctor's appointment Tuesday morning (what great timing!) and after other business mentioned the stomach pain. "You know that's the area where your appendix is right?" Ummm ya. So then he has me lay down and says, "Now, I'm going to have to push hard on it because I need you to tell me whether it hurts more pushing on it or when I let go." (to see if it might be a hernia) ..........
You know that little space of time when you know something really bad is going to happen but you still can't believe that anything THAT bad could be real?
***** <--Those were what appeared in front of my eyes. It was the most excruciating pain I've ever had in my life! $&@*#!!!!!! I then had to yell "When you push on it!" and probably would have sworn if I wasn't trying not to cry. So then because he's a cool doctor and super nice, he pats my arm and says it's ok to cry so of course I start bawling. Ok, not bawling but ya....
So then he lets me know it appears to be appendicitis but they'll do some blood tests to make sure. High white blood count? Surgery ASAP (I almost lost it) Low? Ultra sound time to check the ovaries.
Turns out it wasn't my appendix (or at least the count wasn't high) so we drive downtown while I'm sitting there chugging water. Apparently if your bladder isn't full they can't do much in the ultrasound.
Needless to say by the time we get there I'm hurting (oh, I see the humor now but I was not laughing then). We wait probably 10-15 minutes which of course feels like 2 hours and when my name is called I booked it down there. I'm positive I haven't been the first to dispense with the pleasantries. Do the ultrasound (would have been cool if I wasn't thinking, "Don't pee. Don't pee. Don't pee" which she manages to push that thing all over the place) and then back home.
The doctor rings me up to inform me everything looked perfectly fine but there was some fluid near my right ovary. Apparently what likely happened was I had a large cyst and he probably ruptured it at the doctor's office so he said I'm all set and to take some ibuprofen for the pain. That's a violent word isn't it, ruptured. Fits the feeling though.
Fast forward one day and I'm feeling GREAT! My mom and I did some research after all this drama went down and it's a very common occurrence (hooray for being a woman??) but I seriously haven't felt this good for a long time. Chances are this won't be the last time but I'm just counting my blessings for 1) An awesome doctor who didn't send me away with pain meds and told me to suck it up 2) That it's now gone 3)For my very supportive husband and mom 4)Prayers and 5) My improving health!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that does not sound like fun. But I'm glad you're feeling better!
And I love how you tell your stories. They make me laugh every time... :)

Rachael said...

girlll.... that sounds so painful! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. and I'm so glad!!!!!!! that it wasnt a hernia, appendicitis, or anything else major! appendicitis SUCKS. of course, i had it when i was 2, sooo...i dont remember much, but i do remember it SUCKED. haha. I'm glad you're not ill! (i am following your blog now.. lol)