So on my quest to find some classic Disney movies to get for The Admiral I started thinking about each of them...anyone else notice how there is rarely a happy nuclear family? Was Walt brought up by a single parent or something? Or maybe he wished he had? Or quite possibly it was such a rarity that he wanted his movies to be different. Anywho, I'll break it down for you...

- Snow White - Mom dies at beginning and then shortly dad dies after marrying the Wicked Witch of the West. Apparently with no father figure in her life she turns to multiple men to fill that gap. Shame.
- Bambi - Mom gets shot. Now either that was a Smokey the Bear type promotion to save our forests & eat tufo or just bad decision editing. What little kid wants to watch animals get shot?
- Beauty & the Beast - Mom is dead from beginning but hey, at least she's modest.
- The Little Mermaid - Who knows what happened to her mom, maybe she got eaten by that shark..
- Aladdin - He's an orphan & her mom is dead (I'm sensing a pattern here) - unfortunately Jasmine seems to have picked the bad girl route. Dressing like a tramp & running away with a guy. Tsk Tsk. (I'm kidding, I love that movie)
- Cinderella - Much like her cousin Snow White she has already lost her mother, dad marries a loser and then drops off.
- Lion King - Dad dies (they must have decided the dead mom thing was getting old); I STILL cry watching that scene. *sniff* So sad!
- Jungle Book - Another orphan character but poor guy gets to be raised by animals
- Sleeping Beauty - Ok, so her parents don't die but she's raised as an orphan throughout the whole movie by fairies so I can't say her relationship with her parents wouldn't have been awkward after that.
- Dumbo - No father (at least that I'm aware of) and mom dies..I think. I've never actually watched that one more then once because it's just so darn sad!
- Finding Nemo - Mom dies within the first few minutes. Poor fishie.
- Toy Story - Where the heck is Andy's dad??
- UP - His wife dies within the first 10 minutes of the movie but hey, at least it was from old age.
- Pirates of the Caribbean (hey, it's Disney still) - Elizabeth's mom is dead. Will is an orphan.

2 comments:
You are funny :) . Thanks for your comment on the blog. This is the first time I read your blog. It made me laugh. Hope you are well, I can't wait to see Tristan again.
Have you seen The Princess and the Frog? Scotty and I noticed right away that this is one of the first Disney movies to have both parents around for the main characters. (At least it has a stronger emphasis on the nuclear family.)
Post a Comment