Knowledge is Power!

School. I never thought the word would have me dancing for joy instead of cringing and wanting to run & hide.
My business (big wigs and immediate bosses) has been pressuring me to finish up my degree (AS at first and then a BA) so they can promote me and move me up further in the company. Kind of stupid since the paper won't mean anything. It doesn't qualify me more for my job. It doesn't mean I'm any smarter about my applications. Dumb. But that's how their system works and they can't afford to promote me and bypass someone with that piece of paper (don't want to ruffle feathers).
Thankfully I've been working for the past 4 months with BYU Idaho to get a petition approved with will allow me to complete 15 credits at BYU Independent Study (aka online courses) along with the remaining stuff at Idaho's online classes and get my AS degree. It just got approved today, whooohoo! So after my business trip to OH here in 2 weeks I'll order my first class and get started. Work reimburses the costs and I'll only be taking one class at a time (as I'm still working full time).
My excitement will probably last as long as the first assignment but I'm stoked none the less. Also, I'll probably get a promotion before I actually finish the degree (you just have to be working on it) which is even better news. My bosses might have been even more excited by the news then me!
So three cheers to online higher education!

1 comment:

Mallory said...

Congratulations and good luck! Sometimes I really miss school. Then I remember how I felt at the end of every sememster, and I'm glad that I'm not doing that anymore! lol!