A Surgery Story..

Wednesday I was suddenly overcome with pain. I'm talking on all fours/moaning. We called my OB and it didn't sound like I had internal bleeding (from a ruptured tube) so we called in some pain meds. By the time Luke came back with the meds, I was convinced we needed to go to the ER. My OB called ahead to let them know we were coming.

My poor boys. No dinner for them. I was put near the top of the line due to the severity of what it could be. We got into a room, got an ultrasound and I received some morphine for the pain. Love that stuff. My parents came to pick up The Admiral (we called when we headed to the ER) and take him home with them.

I wasn't bleeding internally but they wanted to keep me overnight. I got to stay in the Mother/Baby wing while Mr. went home for some much needed sleep at 11pm. I LOVE the rooms in the Mother/Baby wing. I felt totally at home, especially since I had a 'clicker' for my pain meds. Every 10 minutes baby. My nurses were the sweetest and I felt totally safe.

After blood drawn at midnight and 6am, my OB determined it'd be best to have the surgery to remove the ectopic. My red blood cells were slowly going down so she was concerned. Plus, there was no way I could deal with all that pain at home. She scheduled it for 11. Mr. came back that morning to be with me.

Did I mention I hadn't eaten since lunch the day before? I also hadn't drank anything since the afternoon the day before. They were pumping me with fluids but I couldn't eat/drink anything due to the surgery. I could barely talk, my throat was so dry. haha

They wheeled me back to the OR prep and I had to answer more inane questions "What's your name? What's your date of birth?". Do you guys communicate at all? I know they're just trying not to mix us all up, but seriously... I got my sweet hair net and some anxiety meds (I was nervous at this point). Mr. gave me a kiss and they took me to the OR room.

I got moved to another bed and piled with warm blankets. Mr Anesthesia (super nice & funny) gave me a gas mask with oxygen and then proceeded to tell me to count back from 100. I think I made it to 98.

I woke up in a big room with other patients coming out of their surgeries. It was definitely a better experience than wisdom teeth knock-out gas (druggy/can't remember). I was horribly thirsty due to the tube they had put down my throat during surgery. I also had to pee. BAD. I asked a nurse for some pain meds (after the 3rd time they finally kicked in) and would have been content to slowly get back to normal. However.... I had the neighbor from Hell. An lady, who had to be in her 80's, was to my left moaning and groaning like she had just had all her limbs torn off. Overhearing the nurse, apparently she had pretty much the same surgery as me for a gall bladder removal. "This is stupid! This is so stupid! Why did I do this???" Along with "Ahhhhhhs" and "Why can't I have water??" was what I got to listen to for 20 minutes. At this point I was ready to leap across and push her bed across the room.

It was also my first experience with a bed pan. No, I did not use it. It reminded me of a baby bumbo (those little chairs). How can anyone use those while laying down?? It's so unnatural, it's comical. I insisted on a real bathroom which apparently is not allowed. But they hustled me to a tiny room with a recliner & a bathroom. Mr. pulled the car around and they wheeled me out. I actually got upset they were kicking me out so soon. I wanted another nice night being catered to, dang it!

My OB talked to Mr. after the surgery was over and apparently it was a very stubborn ectopic. She mentioned the metho shots were working but very slowly. She estimated it would have taken another 6-8 weeks for my hcg levels to go down. I'm so glad we did the surgery!

So I'm busy recovering in the midst of our move. Drinking lots of water, taking lots of pain meds, admiring my scars (several little incisions on my bikini line and a slit on my belly button - because they pump your stomach full of air) and enjoying taking it easy.

A special thank you for those who sent prayers our way and called/texted me. It was much appreciated!

2 comments:

Mars said...

eeek. Hope you're feeling better. Get lots of rest and attention from your boys! Oh and PS obnoxious people in the hospital is the worst. Everyone has different pain levels but sometimes you just want to tell people to be quiet ;)

Carly said...

if they pumped your stomach full of air, does that mean you farted a lot after? :)
haha we love you and are praying for you!